Microsoft Dynamics 365 Customer Engagement Build Automation Using Power DevOps Tools
- Azure DevOps
- Power DevOps Tools
- Build Automation for Customer Engagement using continuous deployment
- Install Power DevOps Tools
- Create new project
- Create Pipeline
- Create Job
- Add Power DevOps tool installer extension
- Add Export Solution extension
- Add Import Solution extension
- Run and schedule
In this article you will get knowledge about Azure DevOps and hands on experience of automating build solution deployment of customer engagement using Power DevOps Tools.
Azure DevOps is a Software as a service (SaaS) platform from Microsoft that provides an end-to-end DevOps toolchain for developing and deploying software. It also integrates with most leading tools on the market and is a great option for orchestrating a DevOps toolchain.
It can be entertain for both type of tenants include on premises and online.
- For on premises we have Azure DevOps Sever
- For online we have Azure DevOps Services
To start with build automation first Sign Up to Azure DevOps account and if you have one already then login here: https://dev.azure.com
You can even try with free trail account. That account should be on top of Microsoft cloud such as Office 365, Outlook or Azure AD service account.
Power DevOps Tools (aka Dynamics 365 Build Tools)
Power DevOps Tools is a set of tools that makes it easy and quick to automate builds and deployment of your PowerApps/CDS/Dynamics 365 CE solutions.
STEP#01: INSTALL POWER DEVOPS TOOLS EXTENSION
Click on store market and search for Power DevOps Tools and install it.
If you have multiple organization in the domain then you have to install this extension on each organization manually otherwise its only one time effort.
STEP#02: CREATE PROJECT:
- Create new project with any suitable name keep the visibility as Private.
- Click on Repos and initialize a Git Repository:
STEP#03: CREATE PIPELINE
- Select new pipeline
- Select Use the classic editor
- Select a Source:
Select the option for Source and project where you are creating Pipeline and then select your branch
Click Continue to proceed.
STEP#04: CREATE JOB
- Select Template:
Since we are going to create custom pipeline so select Empty Job
STEP#05 ADD POWER DEVOPS TOOL INSTALLER
Add Power DevOps tool Installer task to the job
For quick search type in power on search bar and select Power DevOps Tool Installer and click on Add.
STEP#06 ADD EXPORT SOLUTION EXTENSION
- Add Export Solution extension task to the job
- Add Connection String for Source Instance of Customer Engagement from where you want to Export the solution
Note: $ and () are used to indicate variables value if you have only static value you can hardcode it.
- Output path: this is important because this is VM directory where your exported solution will be placed. So give it the same name as mentioned below;
- Solution Name: you can provide direct name of the CE solution we have keep it inside a variable to show how variable works.
STEP#07 ADD IMPORT SOLUTION EXTENSION
- Add Import Solution extension task to the job
- Add connection string for Destination instance of CE where you want to import the solution.
- Also define VM path where the solution is located and Solution Name
Step#08 Save and Run
After performing the steps mentioned above we are good to go to test and run the Pipeline
- Click on Save and Queue:
- Customer Engagement instance for Source environment.
- Customer Engagement instance for Destination environment.
In the above example we have used online version of Customer engagement, in case you are working with on premises then you have to get Azure DevOps Server.